Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.-Albert Einstein
There’s a song by Ryan Shupe and the Rubber B and titled ‘Dream Big’. A chorus of the song goes this way-
And when you dream, dream big,
As big as the ocean, blue.
Cause when you dream it might come true.
For when you dream, dream big.
There is absolutely no harm in dreaming right and dreaming big. I doubt anyone has ever been arrested for taking their dreams a notch higher and dreaming as big as they wanted. So why do so many of us refuse to dream at all? Could it be because we underestimate the power of our imagination?
The dictionary defines imagination as the ability of the mind to be creative or resourceful. Every mind, however, has this ability. “Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it, we go nowhere.” – Carl Sagan
How Do We Feed the Mind to be Creative?
Listed below are a few ways we can enrich our minds so the power of imagination is multiplied.
1. Become more aware of yourself and your surroundings.
2. Be curious – do not take things at face value. Ask questions.
3. Be flexible enough to see things from another perspective. It opens up your mind.
4. Make mistakes, laugh at yourself and try again.
5. Develop other interests
6. Be an inspiration to or for others. The more you give out or share, the more you make room to also receive more ideas and thoughts, etc.
What Does Your Imagination Do For You?
With an improved ability to use our imagination, there are a few positives we can hope to achieve such as:
– Learning to think outside the box.
– Improving upon our confidence level so we are encouraged to go on to greater heights.
– Improved productivity.
– Encouraging creativity and ultimately, innovation. “Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine, and at last, you create what you will.” – George Bernard Shaw
As we go into the new year 2021, with all we have experienced in 2020, we need to consciously have hope for better days. One way to do this is to cultivate and make use of our imagination as we dream big and aspire to greater heights.
What do you see with your mind’s eye for 2021? Remember, “The world is a canvas for your imagination. You are the painter. There are NO RULES. Get to work” – Henry David Thoreau.